Wednesday, January 21, 2009

How Great Thou Art

“How great you are, O Sovereign LORD! There is no one like you, and there is no God but you, as we have heard with our own ears” (II Samuel 7:22). As a teenager I attended a youth fall retreat at a Bible Camp. I remember hearing the sound of "How great Thou art." sung by a hundred voices. The message of that song remains with me today. The day is coming in glory when we will hear the same words sung by the saints of all ages. There is no doubt God is great. He is certainly great beyond human comprehension. How great is dependent on how we see Him. I have found the bigger (more Biblical) I see God the smaller my problems become. The transverse is also true, the smaller I see Him, the larger my problems loom. We can be certain that God is Sovereign over the affairs of the universe. He works all things according to "The counsel of His own will." We are not to be shocked at His workings. I remember the Vietnamese War and wondered where God was in that seeming disaster. Years later I found out that a multitude of Vietnamese people accepted Christ during that terrible war. There was a revival going on, God, through the Holy Spirit was working in the midst of it, calling the lost into His kingdom. There is no God like Him, He is the only true and living God in existence. All other gods are make believe or demonic. The enemy is always seeking worship, and he receives worship through sin and false worship. We are seeing the partial destruction of the god of materialism in America today. People tend to worship that which gives them security, purpose, pleasure and protection. Only the True and Living God can do these things. I think this is the time for God's children to start praying about their praying. God was quite serious when He said in II Chronicles 7:14 "If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land." We have become an exceedingly wicked people who have forgotten God. America has never been so much in need of revival. Historically revival always starts with intense prayer. Difficult times bring great opportunity for the gospel. The hearts of people tend to open when they see the destruction of their objects of worship. I remember making a hospital visit on an educated woman who had the reputation of "Eating preachers." I went there on the request of her godly sister. I walked into her hospital room and found a woman whose heart was open to the Gospel and she accepted the Lord. What happened was the cancer that was destroying her body, brought her to the place of desperation. She turned from her sin and whatever gave her security and called on the Lord. I believe the Lord has set before us a great opportunity for the gospel, Lets not waste it. Dr. Ken Copley is available for counseling, conferences, and local church meetings.

No comments:

Post a Comment