Sunday, January 18, 2009

Facts About Faith

Hebrews tells us that "faith is the substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things unseen." Our faith is no better than the object of our faith. I can believe in something with all my heart but if I am believing a lie, my faith is worthless. The Scriptures are God's truth. What God says is absolutely true. My eternal salvation is based on the Gospel as revealed in the Word. My faith must be placed in God and the truth of His Word. The fact is God backs up everything He promises, there is not a promise or statement in the Scriptures that He will not honor. Thus we trust in Him and in none other. The Scripture say "Cursed is the man who trusts in man." God is my Father and He takes responsibility for me. He has made it quite clear that He is more than willing to provide for me and He calls on me to trust Him. "My God shall supply all your needs through His riches in glory." Everyone of us will come to the place of desperation in life. During this time it seems as if everything we touch falls apart. There are times we can readily identify with the Prophets of old who would lament the day they lived in. Jeremiah cursed the day he was born. Habakkuk asked the Lord why He would allow a people far more wicked than the children of Israel to conquer them. The most interesting thing is when the Prophet was through crying out his lament to God he would invariability break out in praise. Crying out to God seems to help us get our priorities straight. In the process of crying out we tend to see Jesus. The Author of Hebrews tell us to "Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart." I am reminded of the Scripture that says "If you faint in the day of adversity your strength is small." We are reminded in the Bible "The battle belongs to the Lord." The Christian life is a faith life, fleshed out in trust. Is your faith growing or diminishing in your present trial?

No comments:

Post a Comment