Monday, January 19, 2009

Seaching the Heart

Searching the heart is exclusively the work of the Holy Spirit. J. Edwin Orr taught, "It is to the Holy Spirit that the Christian must look if he is to find a measure of revival for his searching soul". Spiritual blessing for believers is dependent on cleansing, which in turn depends upon confession that is dependent on conviction; and conviction comes from a searching of heart by God's own Spirit. Therefore, each of us needs to get alone with God regularly and allow Him to search our hearts, to plumb the deepest crevices of our soul, for anything contrary to His character. In addition to using the Word, a great aid for facilitating this process is the popular prayer-hymn written by Orr in 1936 during the New Zealand revival. He was in line at a local post office, he penned the following lyrics in just eighteen minutes: "Search me, O God, and know my heart today. Try me, O Savior, know my thoughts, I pray. See if there be some wicked way in me: Cleanse me from every sin and set me free. I praise Thee, Lord, for cleansing me from sin: Fulfill Thy Word and make me pure within. Fill me with fire where once I burned with shame, Grant my desire to magnify Thy name. Lord, take my life and make it wholly Thine: Fill my poor heart with Thy great love divine. Take all my will, my passion, self and pride; I now surrender, Lord, in me abide. O Holy Ghost, revival comes from Thee; Send a revival--start the work in me. Thy Word declares Thou wilt supply our need; For blessings now, O Lord, I humbly plead." This Spirit-inspired hymn give the essentials for getting right with God--searching, convicting, confessing, cleansing and surrendering--all of which precede revival. Notice how he closes by stating his need for personal revival: "Start the work in me." This should be the cry of every Christian. Dr. Ken Copley is available for counseling, conferances, and local church meetings.

No comments:

Post a Comment