Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Who Cares for the Elderly

"Even to your old age and gray hairs I am he, I am he who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you.”- Isaiah 46:4. We live in a time of genuine economic instability. Every day I read of major companies being in financial trouble. With the present rate of inflation many who live on fixed incomes are feeling the pinch. I have a friend, who is a few years older than I am, he has stated he has two fears as he approaches his "Golden years." The first fear is dying from an extended, extremely painful, illness and the second is that he might out live his material resources. God answers these questions when He says "I am he who will sustain you." I frequently approach the Lord in prayer on the basis of son-ship. My prayer might go as follows "Father, you created me and saved me, you have promised to provide for my needs and take care of me. I have a really big need right now, and I am asking you to take care of me by providing for me according to your will." I believe the Lord delights in answering prayer. The answer (He always answers) makes sense, is practical and leaves no doubt that it came from Him in answer to prayer. Faith works itself out in praying rather than in scheming. The Lord has promised to "carry us." and "rescue us." I believe He does this through the power of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is God, an active member of the Godhead who indwells every believer. I am aware that we as Christians tend to ignore Him and His working in our lives. He came to guide us, why would we ignore our Guide. I don't have any direct Scriptural command to pray to Him, but I am commanded to "grieve not the Holy Spirit." and I am to "quench not the Holy Spirit." These commands imply relationship, and the Holy Spirit is a relational member of the Godhead. As we read the Scriptures the Holy Spirit teaches us and illumines the Word in our minds and hearts. The truth is the Lord will indwell us by the Holy Spirit until we draw our last breath and go home to be with our Father in heaven. When I was young we would sing "every day with Jesus is sweeter than the day before."I do know this, every day brings me one day closer to home. Dr. Ken Copley is available for counseling, conferences, and local church meetings.

No comments:

Post a Comment