Monday, January 19, 2009

God's Overlay

A thought I received from a book by Henry Blackaby has intrigued me. Henry said "At times God will overlay your heart with His heart." When I was a pastor I would use an overhead projector (that should date me). In using overlays, I would at times lay down a simple map, and then overlay that map with a another overlay, the second overlay would add dimensions not seen in the first. The idea of God's heart overlaying my heart fleshes out new aspects to my Christian life and this brings hope. I have prayed many times "God break my heart with the things that break your heart." I believe every child of God wants to know the heart of God. God often allows pain to ignite purpose and destiny in our lives. That is why he said "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything" (James 1:2-5). Without motivation, many of us would never fulfill the purposes for which God created us. Oftentimes a measured assault invades our life and creates a depth of pain that all we know to do is snuggle up to God with all our being. The closer we get into God's heart the more we experience God. When we cry out to Him in absolute abandonment, and He is faithful to walk through the trial with us. I am certain you remember the poem dealing with the footsteps in the sand. The upshot was only one set of footprints meant God was carrying the writer of the poem. How many times has God carried us when we were void of strength to carry on? God and God alone is the source of life, and He is in charge of igniting purpose in our lives. Dr. Ken Copley is available for counseling, conferences, and local church meetings.

No comments:

Post a Comment