Saturday, January 17, 2009

Making The Right Choices

Each new day comes with a multitude of choices. Will I get up the first time the alarm clock ringsm or will I hit the sloth button? What will I wear? Choices concerning breakfast, what will I eat, or will I eat at all? How will I drive on my way to work? What will I do concerning that rude driver who cut me off? What route will I take. Will I break the speed limit, flow with traffic, or lead the pack. What will my attitude be like at work? Will I snub the co-worker who threw me under the bus (figuratively speaking) last week? Will I do my best, and work harder and smarter? Or will I be a complainer like some others are, always griping about something that doesn't suit me? King David made a bold statement about his daily choices. The said, “I have chosen the way of truth; I have set my heart on your laws,” (Psalm 119:30). Choosing the "way of truth." begins with knowing the One who is the "Way, the Truth and the Life." When we know Jesus then we are attracted to the Word of Truth which is the Scriptures. Walking in the Word is necessary in order to know what truth is. As we surrender to the Lord we are filled with the Spirit of Truth, The Spirit of Truth is the Holy Spirit. He is the One who Jesus said would "Teach us all things." We are also to be a part of the Local Church which is the "Pillar and ground of the Truth." Freedom comes from knowing God's Truth. "You shall know the Truth and the Truth shall set you free." This speaks of an experiential knowledge of the truth. In other words it is more than a head knowledge, it is knowledge that lives in the heart. Years ago there was a gospel tract called "He missed heaven by 18 inches." The idea was a man knew all about Jesus and the blood of the cross in his head, but he had not received Jesus in his heart. David went on to state "I have set my heart on your laws." The laws of God are good. Why? Because God's law points out violations of love. Jesus said the Great Commandment was to "love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength and to love your neighbor as yourself, on these two commandment hang all the Law and Prophets." How did King David come to the conclusion that choosing the way (path) of truth is best? He learned this by experience. There were times he wandered from the path of truth and paid a terrible price. One thing remarkable about David, he always repented and returned to the path of truth. The questions each of us must face daily is what path will I choose to walk on today. For the believer that path must be the "Way of Truth."

No comments:

Post a Comment